Smyrna Welcome Center
Welcome Center Volunteer
Brochures & Links Meeting
Cabin Photo Gallery
2875 Atlanta Road
Smyrna, Georgia 30080
Open Mon-Wed-Thu-Fri-Sat, 10 AM to 4 PM
(Closed Tuesdays & Sundays)
Smyrna Welcome Center is located next door to the Smyrna Museum
and is operated by the city. It has no affiliation with the
Smyrna Historical and Genealogical Society and this information
is posted to this website as a courtesy.
opened on April 23, 1999. The building's two sections were
once part of a famous restaurant that operated a few miles
away - Aunt Fanny's Cabin.
The welcome center provides a wide array of event and community
information and brochures (free of charge, see link above)
for prospective residents, visitors and locals. Tasteful souvenirs
such as glassware, shirts and cook books are also sold.
and cozy facility includes a 21-seat meeting room with a large
kitchen that can be rented for a small fee. The meeting room's
atmosphere is perfect for baby showers, retirement parties,
club meetings, etc. Please call for more information.
Welcome Center is 100% staffed by volunteers who invite you
to visit, ask questions or just drop in and enjoy a beautiful
historical setting. A volunteer application is available above
for people who like to smile, talk and serve the community!
the namesake of Aunt Fanny's Cabin, was an African
American woman who was born circa 1860. There is no record
of her birth. In the 1880s she went to work for the family
of Orme Campbell as a nursemaid and cook for many years during
which time she acquired the nickname "Aunt Fanny".
was very active in the community as a fundraiser for her church,
Atlanta's Wheat Street Baptist, and an African American medical
center in Marietta. The restaurant used her recipes and was
named for her by Mr. Campbell's daughter when Ms. Williams
was believed to be in her eighties.
died on November 5, 1949. She is buried at South View Cemetery
e-mail the SHGS
is you can provide additional biographical information or
photos. Thank you.
Fanny's Cabin Circa 1945
History of Aunt Fanny's Cabin
Smyrna Welcome Center was once a world-famous, Southern-themed
restaurant named Aunt Fanny's Cabin. The restaurant,
which closed in 1994, was located a few miles away on Campbell
Road just north of the railroad bridge.
Isoline Campbell MacKenna converted an existing 1890s-era
cabin on her property to a country store to sell preserves
and produce grown and produced on her farm. She soon began
selling soup and other foods prepared from the recipes of
her family's retired cook - Fanny Williams.
for the prepared foods grew and in the early 1940's a brick
floored terrace room was added and the restaurant, named Aunt
Fanny's Cabin, opened.
the restaurant had established itself as "a place to
eat and be seen" and attracted famous celebrities from
around the world.
served authentic Southern-style food, America's oldest recognized
cuisine, in a rustic environment. During its day, it was considered
quite expensive. It was expanded several times over the years
and eventually seated 800 customers.
its five decades of operation, the restaurant
was visited by movie stars, sports figures, politicians and
other celebrities who not only signed the guest book, but
left behind many autographed photos
that graced the walls.
was sold in 1946 to Harvey Hester and Marjorie Bowman who
operated it for 22 years. George Poole purchased it in 1968.
Frank Johnson bought the property in 1992 and closed it in
1994. The six acre property was later redeveloped as a luxury
cabin and 1940s terrace room were moved to the current location
in 1998 and refurbished for use as a welcome center.
the final owner, donated the historic memorabilia and celebrity
photos that are displayed within to the city of Smyrna.